Let’s travel together.

Everything you need to know about the ETA Visa to Canada


The electronic travel authorization, the AVE, is the new requirement for foreigners without visa flying or travelling across Canada. This is only mandatory if the foreigner is travelling to Canada by air and not if travelling by land. Persons with a visa for Canada, Canadian citizenship or permanent residence in Canada do not need the AVE document to enter Canada.

People who need ETA

If the person comes from a visa-free country and receives a work or study permit, they will automatically receive an eTA when they accept the work or study permit request. US citizens do not need an eTA or visa to travel to Canada. US citizens can visit Canada with a valid US passport. Permanent residents of the United States or holders of a green card require an eTA to travel to Canada and must also carry their green card with them.

If a person has dual nationality, that is, he has Canadian citizenship, as well as at least one other citizenship of another country, he does not need an eTA to enter Canada. However, if travelling by air, they must carry their Canadian passport. If a person is a permanent resident of Canada, they do not need an AVE Canada but need a valid PR or permanent residence or permanent residence document to travel to Canada.


Ask for ETA

The eTA is a very simple document to request. You can easily apply online on the Government of Canada website, where the application costs CAD 7. The request only takes a few minutes and after granting the eTA can be valid for up to five years. The eTA is an electronic document and is also linked electronically to the person’s passport number. The person does not receive a physical document for the eTA from the Canadian government.

The documents required to apply for the eTA are a valid passport and e-mail address as well as a bank card or credit card. The eTA lasts five years or until the expiration of the individual passport, whichever comes first. With a fully valid eTA, a person can travel to Canada for short trips as often as they like, about six months at a time. The information entered in the application is sent electronically to the Department of Immigration Canada, which sends the Canadian eTA online by email.

Things to keep in mind

Always have a passport or travel document valid for at least 6 months from the date of arrival of the person in Canada. If someone gets a new passport, he or she also needs a new eTA. Once the person’s AVE is approved, they must confirm that the passport number in the AVE is the same as the passport number. If they don’t match, you should get a new AVE.