Let’s travel together.

Immigrate to the United States and find out how to obtain a work permit in the United States


The United States is considered one of the most powerful economies in the world and provides good jobs. To get a job in the United States, one must be sufficiently qualified with potential skills according to the requirements of the job profile. Jobs in the United States offer immense job opportunities for immigrants who are coming to develop their careers, although this requires an H1 or L1 visa with a specific work permit.

Who needs a work permit?

Foreigners generally need a permit to work and work legally in the United States through American employers. But foreigners with green cards or diplomats do not need permission. A green card holder, by their legal permanent resident status in the United States, is authorized to work in the United States as long as they retain this status. A foreign diplomat, although working in the United States, does not need it because she is employed by the government of her country.

How do I get a work permit?

A work permit (officially called a work permit document or “EAD”, which is issued in the form of a plastic card) can be obtained by one of the following means:

– An employer
– a close family member
– an investment
– the visa lottery program
– asylum or refugee and another similar status.

a. Employer

An employer can sponsor a foreigner through a work-based immigration application that results in a green or “permanent” card, or a non-immigration visa application that allows the non-immigrant to work for a limited time. Examples of non-immigration visas that a foreigner could work in the United States for a limited time include the H1-B visa (work must be in a professional position; can be up to six years) and L1 visa (transfer of foreign employees) to an American company of a related company located abroad; can last up to seven years).


b. Member of the family

US citizens or legal permanent residents can sponsor their immediate family members via the so-called family immigration file, which, if approved, will lead to a green card. If the future immigrant is in the United States, she can apply for a work permit while waiting for her green card to be issued.

c. Investment

With a non-immigrant E visa, U.S. treaties of foreign investors or traders who trade or make substantial investments to work on U.S. E visas will initially be valid for two years. Although it can be extended indefinitely, an E visa is a form of temporary work permit.

d. Visa Lottery Program

The United States Department of State administers the Visa Lottery Program, which awards 50,000 immigration visas annually to those selected at random. Only citizens of countries with low US immigration rates are eligible for this program. Provided they meet the conditions for immigration to the United States (no serious criminal conviction, no drug use, etc.), those who are randomly selected will receive green cards that will allow them to live and work in the United States. The United States, like other authorized permanent residents.

e. Asylum or refugee and similar status

Those who receive asylum (asylum) or refugee status can obtain a work permit. Persons in expulsion (or expulsion) proceedings who have forms of immigration assistance (or defence against expulsion or expulsion) can also obtain a work permit while their case is pending.